Pobalscoil na Tríonóide

Match Report - O'Callaghan Cup by Liam O' Leary and Cian Walsh


O’Callaghan Cup

Cork Schools B

Pobalscoil na Tríonóde VS Mitchelstown CBS

Final Score: Pobalscoil 2-14, Mitchelstown 3-20

It was a dull morning in Mayfield, Co. Cork as the Pobalscoil na Tríonóide hurlers made their way onto the field, followed quickly by their rivals from Mitchelstown CBS. As the two teams warmed up on opposite sides of the pitch, the referee Cathal Egen arrived and made his way to the centre. The players spread out to each other's territory, and with that the sliotar was thrown in.

The atmosphere on the sidelines was tense as we watched the action unfold, and after just fifty seconds Pobalscoil scored their first point thanks to captain Kyle Brown. Taking an early lead, Pobalscoil repeatedly shut down many a Mitchelstown attempt thanks to goalkeeper Peter Cuirc, who made countless saves, and centre back Aidan McEvoy. Twelve minutes in, a yellow card went to Mitchelstown as Pobalscoil hurler Ciaran Cullinane went down injured, but just as quickly as the ref pulled out his book Ciaran was back up and ready to play on.

As Mitchelstown slowly caught up, Pobalscoil were beginning to feel the pressure. The scoreboard began to even out, but Kyle Brown scored the first goal of the game for Pobalscoil, much to the appreciation of his teammates. However, Mitchelstown remained undeterred and came back with a goal of their own, and a second one just two minutes later, gaining the lead on Pobalscoil. A controversial wide ball at the Mitchelstown goal sparked some Pobalscoil tempers, as the two umpires were from their adversary’s side, and a wide free from captain Kyle Brown ended the first half, Pobalscoil 1-7, Mitchelstown 2-8.

After a rousing speech from coach Brian O’Donoghue, the Pobalscoil team headed back onto the field with a strong desire for victory as the sun began to pierce through the clouds. Mitchelstown Number 14 scored two points from two frees in the first two minutes, leaving Pobalscoil in the dust while their opponents stormed ahead. A sideline controversy between the players in the third minute was ended as Mitchelstown coach and Cork Goalkeeper Anthony Nash agreed it was a “Youghal ball”, an event that Pobalscoil player Ciarán O’Rourke felt was important to share with the Mitchelstown team.

After a long streak of points and a third goal from Mitchelstown, substitute Luke Coughlan was brought on for Pobalscoil as their spirits were dropping. Luke shortly scored a point for his team eighteen minutes into the second half, and a second point minutes later indicated the start of a comeback for Pobalscoil. Two more yellows were handed out, one for each team, as the tension on the pitch rose, and in the dying minutes, Pobalscoil scored their second and much needed goal. However, just as soon as the comeback had begun, it ended as the ref blew the final whistle. Mitchelstown CBS had won. Despite this, Pobalscoil put up a glorious fight, and never let their opponents relax for a second. They may have lost, but there were not nine points between the skill of those teams.

By Liam O’Leary & Cian Walsh

21 2019
TY Graduation
21 2019
TY Graduation
22 2019
Leaving Certificate Lunch
23 2019
Leaving Certificate Mass
24 2019
Junior Cycle Awards in Hall
Follow us
Pobalscoil na Tríonóide,
Co. Cork,

024 25836

Microsoft Education
© 2019 Pobalscoil na Tríonóide